Guys, It’s getting undoubtedly cold outside. So what can we do to protect us against colds or to reduce the duration and intensity of a cold?! Of course, we could wrap up warmly or avoid contact to humans. The second option is almost impossible as we are supposed to go to work, to the supermarket etc.. A good solution would be to eat chicken soup. Especially, this Asian chicken soup with coconut milk and a lot of spices. It is called Tom Kha Gai, it perfectly warms us up and protects us against colds. Well, there is yet another positive side-effect- its delicious taste ;-).
Serves 4 | Time needed ~ 40 min
1 red chilli pepper
2 stems fresh lemon gras*
1 piece (40 g) of galangale*
5-6 stems of coriander with roots*
500 g chicken fillet
400 ml coconut milk (unsweetened)
1 tbsp chicken broth
3 Kaffir lime leaves*
250 g mushrooms
150 g cherry tomatoes
75 g beansprouts
2 Limes (one should be bio)
2-3 tbsp fish sauce*
Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and dry red pepper, slice it lengthwise, remove seeds and dice it. Remote the outer lemon gras leaves and cut the steams into half. Wash and dice the galangale. Wash and dry the coriander, chop the leaves and put aside (don’t throw the roots away). Wash and dry the chicken fillet and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Boil up the coconut milk, 3/4 l of water and chicken broth. Add the pepper, lemon gras, galangale, coriander roots, Kaffir lime leaves and chicken. Boil up once again and an simmer a further 10 min.
- Clean, wash and halfen the mushrooms. Wash the tomatoes and beansprouts. Add mushrooms, tomatoes and beansprouts to the soup and simmer a further 5 min.
- Rinse the lime under hot water and cut into slices. Press out the other lime. Season the soup with 2-4 tbsp lime juice and fish sauce.
- Remove lemon gras, galangale, coriander roots and Kefir lime leaves from the soup. Garnish the soup with coriander leaves and lime slices.
* You can buy all these ingredients in an Asian supermarket.
Adapted from LECKER (Die große Jubiläumsausgabe) magazine.