I know it’s been a while but I’m back again and would like to start my comeback with a delicious vegetarian dish that includes my all time favourite vegatable, lovely eggplants. Fried slices of eggplants are coated with a fruity-spicy tomato sauce and a refreshing herbal cream, an explosion of flavors, smiply “Veggielicious” :-).
Serves 6 | Time needed ~ 1 h 30 min
5 stalks flat-leaf parsley
500 g cream fraiche
2 garlic cloves
650 g tomatoes
12 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp hot chili paste e.g. Harissa
3 eggplants (approx. 1 kg)
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the parsley. Pluck the leaves off and chop them. Season the cream fraiche with salt and pepper and add the parsley.
- For the sugo: Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Wash and cut the tomatoes into small pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic cloves. Add the tomatoes and season with salt, pepper and harissa. Simmer the sugo at low heat for about 30 min.
- In the meantime, wash the eggplants, remove the top and bottom parts and cut into slices approx. one centimetre tick. Heat 10 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplants, turning frequently until golden brown. Allow them to drip off on kitchen paper.
- Season the sugo again. Spread 1/3 of the cream fraiche on a large plate. Pour some of the eggplants and sugo over the creme fraiche. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Finish with tomato sugo. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Enjoy with meat, fish or bread e.g. ciabatta.
Adapted from LECKER (Die große Jubiläumsausgabe) magazine.