Last winter I visited my parents and had some great meatballs made by mommy, though these meatballs were with a twist. Not like the typical ones you find at IKEA, but hey, meatballs in all variations works just fine by me.
Surrounded by a interesting pattern off puff pastry and with a mouth-watering inside, they are the perfect appetiser at any gathering.
I served mine with a crispy salad, balsamic vinegar and slices of sheep cheese.
How would you serve yours?
Serves 4 | Time needed ~ 45 min
500g or one package puff pastry
500g minced meat (half lamb, half beef)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove
salt,pepper alt. other spices to taste
2 egg yolks
- Mix your minced meat, chopped onion, garlic and the spices in a bowl.
- With wet hands, firm the meat into balls.
- Using a knife, cut long strips in the puff pastry as pictured below.
- Align the strips around the meatballs so that a nice pattern appear.
- Place the balls on a baking dish, covered with baking paper.
- Smear the pastry with egg yolks.
- Bake on 180 C for 25 minutes.
- Enjoy :)