The special feature of this recipe is a crispy potato base. Don’t be frightened by the wide range of ingrediens or the preparation. It is really easy to make, it tastes very nice and above all, it is very healthy. Remember Popeye! :-)
Serves 6 to 8 | Time needed ~ 1 h 45 min
1 kg potatoes
350 g spinach (possible with frozen spinach as well)
150 g cherry tomatoes
250 g herder’s cheese
3 eggs (size M)
3 tbsp wholemeal flour
2 garlic cloves
5 tbsp milk
oil for the springform pan
salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
For the base
- Pre-heat the oven (circulating air: 175 °C, top and bottom heat: 200 °C) and grease a 26 cm springform pan with oil.
- Peel, wash and grate the potatoes coarsely.
- Add 1 egg, the wholemeal flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the mixture well and sieve finely.
- Spread the mixture in the springform pan up the rim and bake approx. 20 min in the pre-heated oven.
For the spinach-herder´s cheese filling
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic cloves finely.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and steam the onions and garlic.
- Add the spinach and 6 tbsp of water. Season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to boil and steam for approx. 15 min with the lid on.
- In the meantime, wash and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Mix 2/3 of the crumbled herder’s cheese with milk, 2 eggs, salt and pepper using a hand blender.
- Add the spinach to the herder´s cheese-egg-mixture and blend it in.
- Pour the mixture over the pre-baked base. Arrange the tomatoes and the remaining herder´s cheese on top.
- Bake the quiche for 45 min at the same temperature.